Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Conf 69 Not Writing

Where's the time's gone?

It feels peculiar, not writing. Odd.

I have snuk up to check e mails and a few blogs, and look at me here now, but on the whole have stayed away. Have been clearing cupboards, reading fiction, reading recipe books, cooking more inventive meals, applying for jobs, making notes from other authors' fiction, some words theirs, some mine:

Volcanic energy - courage, hope, the person she was - not wipe out.

Pounding

Foaming

Got twatted

Sound as colours (me) (I have to write 'me' in my notes so that I know if they're words I've nicked or not, if they are, I obviously have to change them - if there's more than one that is. There's no copyright on individual words.)

Close (weather)

Sightless

Reading without reading (me)

Slough past

XXX's house is........

Nebulous.

And listening to the radio:

(Jazz trumpet, piano, lots of gaps, tall buildings music, sax crashing into dischord, cool, fresh piano chords. 'Saw the dots' saw the music...)

And reading:

'sits on hot plastic seat in the sun.' (Maggie O'Farrell. WHY did I write that down? Is sits on hot plastic seat so much better than sits on seat? Yes it is I guess.)

'watches the colour sink into brown.' M O'F again

Pearlescent skin, result of staying in too much (nicked from dinner chat with Steve McDonnell).

Slewed

Smell of earl gray (me)

Dream notes, skiing up black slope (me) (not that I'm going through crisis or anything)

And had a massage this afternoon. I've only had massages in Asia where it all seems perfectly natural. Was reminded of hilarious scene in my writing group friend Louise's second novel Are You My Mother. What do masseures do if blokes get turned on?

I was more concerned about my feet - I picked the day when we had the plumber in first thing in the morning. I'd had a shower but had been walking around barefoot all morning, as I do, and when it came to leaving he had all the water turned off while he fixed a new shower unit. Anyway, it was very relaxing apart from that, she didn't say 'yuk look at your feet!' and I feel very toned and cool and am getting things into perspective.

Heard from my old agent today, the foreign rights assistant. My two novels are all set to come out in Russia this August. With the non-fiction, that means I have three books coming out in the next few weeks. Perhaps it's not all over yet.

Am pretty firmed up on new writing practice too. Am keen to get back to it but under new rules: no more than 1,000 words a day. Start off on the computer, print out after several runs through, to mid-sentence to exact number of words if need be, work on hard copy for rest of morning. Clock off at noon. Next day insert corrections and proceed with next 1,000 words, stopping in mid-sentence if need be... In this way I hope to stop it taking over my whole existence, as it has been doing. I now want to make this the best book I can do
.

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

19 comments:

Roberta said...

Amanda, Thank you for the insight into a writers day.
I am trying to get going with my writing, having let the ENUF monster (not good enuf!)
get a grip of my psyche for much too long.
i like the 1000 words approach, brilliant.
Would you mind if i used it and credited you if I ever get anything published?
Thought you might appreciate being an inspiration for another writer.
I have popped you into my favourites file and will keep an eye on your blog.
I am living in CHeltenham, being a Psychic Tarot Reader, Therapist, Mother and would be best selling author.
The latter taking a little longer than planned to come to fruition - but i keep going, in a fashion.
Nice to meet you.
ROberta

Admin said...

Wow, what a great site. I will bookmark this site and return often. It's nice to see sites like this.

Please visit my website and let me know what you think. Secret Confession

Anonymous said...

Hello!
tarot reading los angeles is a very interesting subject and I really enjoy Your blog.
If You are really interested in this You must visit tarot reading los angeles
Here You find a complete directory regarding tarot reading los angeles

So please, don´t miss tarot reading los angeles

Anonymous said...

Hey, Nice blog on ezine publishers. It is always nice to locate an information source like this one. If you need some more resources, I invite you to our site which has lots of fresh information on ezine publishers . Thanks...

Anonymous said...

Great blog! I also have a site about tennessee waterskiing camps
. You can check it out at tennessee waterskiing camps
.

Also, as a special bonus, I want to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE Sony DVD Handycam. Just click the link below and enter your Zipcode to qualify.

FREE Sony DVD Handycam

data entry home typing job said...

It's been very good to visit your blog today Amanda Mann. I have had a busy day trying to research the net for more great sites lile yours to help be build my sites
data entry home typing job content. I appreciate your candid words and if I can furthur help you in any way, please visit data entry home typing job

Antonio Hicks said...

I was just browsing various blogs as I was doing a search on the word poster, and I just wanted to say that I really like what you've done with your blog, even though it wasn't particularly related to what I searched for. I appreciate your postings, and your blog is a good example of how a blog should be done. I've only just recently started a Posters website - feel free to visit it when you get a chance if you wish. Much success, antonio.

Anonymous said...

hey i love your blog!

if you want some free 1984 in nobel peace prize who wonprizes try blingo, its free to sign up and you can win free prizes! I just won a free movie ticket! Lets win together!

Emily said...

Dear blogger,

I found your post while looking for info on
href="http://www.normism.org"> urban archaeology
while I found your post

to be very interesting, it was not the exact type of info on

href="http://www.normism.org"> urban archaeology
. So anyways I thoght I

should drop you a few lines and thank you for the good job that you are

doing, and at the same time spread the good news about this site that

demystifies a lot of concepts like

href="http://www.normism.org"> urban archaeology
. The new age prophet

Seyed Bahram Mirkalami while demystifying subjects like

href="http://www.normism.org"> urban archaeology
, states that he has

declared heaven on earth with the power invested in him by "God". And

anyone who accepts this declaration will have immortality and peace in

life right away. Here's the link one more time:

href="http://www.normism.org"> urban archaeology


God bless all.

Jordan said...

Dear blogger,

I found your post while looking for info on
href="http://www.normism.org"> latter day saint dallas
while I found your post

to be very interesting, it was not the exact type of info on

href="http://www.normism.org"> latter day saint dallas
. So anyways I thoght I

should drop you a few lines and thank you for the good job that you are

doing, and at the same time spread the good news about this site that

demystifies a lot of concepts like

href="http://www.normism.org"> latter day saint dallas
. The new age prophet

Seyed Bahram Mirkalami while demystifying subjects like

href="http://www.normism.org"> latter day saint dallas
, states that he has

declared heaven on earth with the power invested in him by "God". And

anyone who accepts this declaration will have immortality and peace in

life right away. Here's the link one more time:

href="http://www.normism.org"> latter day saint dallas


God bless all.

Emily said...

Dear blogger,

I found your post while looking for info on
href="http://www.normism.org"> hermes in greek religion and mythology
while I found your post

to be very interesting, it was not the exact type of info on

href="http://www.normism.org"> hermes in greek religion and mythology
. So anyways I thoght I

should drop you a few lines and thank you for the good job that you are

doing, and at the same time spread the good news about this site that

demystifies a lot of concepts like

href="http://www.normism.org"> hermes in greek religion and mythology
. The new age prophet

Seyed Bahram Mirkalami while demystifying subjects like

href="http://www.normism.org"> hermes in greek religion and mythology
, states that he has

declared heaven on earth with the power invested in him by "God". And

anyone who accepts this declaration will have immortality and peace in

life right away. Here's the link one more time:

href="http://www.normism.org"> hermes in greek religion and mythology


God bless all.

Emily said...

Dear blogger,

I found your post while looking for info on
href="http://www.normism.org"> urban archaeology
while I found your post

to be very interesting, it was not the exact type of info on

href="http://www.normism.org"> urban archaeology
. So anyways I thoght I

should drop you a few lines and thank you for the good job that you are

doing, and at the same time spread the good news about this site that

demystifies a lot of concepts like

href="http://www.normism.org"> urban archaeology
. The new age prophet

Seyed Bahram Mirkalami while demystifying subjects like

href="http://www.normism.org"> urban archaeology
, states that he has

declared heaven on earth with the power invested in him by "God". And

anyone who accepts this declaration will have immortality and peace in

life right away. Here's the link one more time:

href="http://www.normism.org"> urban archaeology


God bless all.

Astrology Reading said...

Hi ##NAME##, very unique blog you have! I was looking for Aura Reading related information and came across your site. Very good info, I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a Aura Reading site. You can get an honest and informative reading to help you find your soul mate or lost loved one. You can also get info on numerology and astrology. Please visit it :-)

If you have a site similar to mine and would like to exchange links, please contact me through my website.

Joseph Smith, Jr. said...

Interesting blog. Enjoyed reading it.

Sincerely,

Joseph Smith Jr.
Pearl of Great Price
http://www.whatismormonism.com

joel said...

Child Care costs are one of the most expensive costs associated with going back to work. Finding waya to cut down on child costs without sacrificing Quality Child Care is a top priority for all working parents.
Link to my site: child care detroit

Anonymous said...

Bizarre Secret Confesson Warning, these cofessions will shock you. Very disturbing Stuff. If you have something on your heart or something weighing on your soul then I saw this site and you should go over there anc confess. No one has to know it is you. It is private. I at your secret confession and I really felt a lot better afterward. You can confess ALL at http://www.yoursecretconfession.com/forum

James Baker said...

I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you, Friend, how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
job portal
It covers job portal related contents.
All the best!

sdRay said...

My name is Ray and I just started a new blog about unholy confession. Its a place where you can chat about unholy confession confidentially. I hope you will come and check out www.MySecretConfessionSpace.com. Thanks for letting me post on your site.

Anonymous said...

Was surfing the net loking for some one stop ski shop and I came upon your site and I was impressed by the quality of content you have. Keep up the awesome job. I will be bookmarking you right now.