Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Conf 184: Theoried Out

That's it, am completely theoried out and ready to go into the final draft.

I have a file divided into structure, plot, scene analysis, characters, synopsis (due now for a heavy rewrite) with a reminder at the front of what I should be looking at before embarking on each chapter. On my desk I have a red, folded card. On the front are the themes, hidden and visible, plus two reminders:

NEVER let S know she is going to succeed
NEVER let the characters disclose their own personalities.

Inside is a list of the 8 main characters, on the left a sentence they'd say that sums them up, that lets me hear their voice, on the right their ATTITUDE. Willy Russell recently confided to a writer friend that he should forget all those 'how to' character charts with their hopes and fears and favourite chocolate bars, bugger that, he says, all you need to know is their attitude.

I saved creating the perfect scene till last. This is one of Kate Harrison's lovely links of the day. I'm not sure it's going to work for me, sounds a bit too good to be true, but I'll give it a try on some of my creakier sections of early draft.

Now's the hard bit, getting started again. Eufff.

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

1 comment:

Alias Lucy Diamond said...

Wow - you are sooo organised, I salute you. I am looking around my desk at all the pieces of paper with scribbles on and thinking I should get my act together, too...
Love the link by the way. I actually laughed out loud at all his slickness and flattery - hilarious! (Have saved it too...definitely one to revisit during The Big Edit)
Fab blog all round, m'dear. Those agents are clearly barmy not to have snapped you up yet!