Friday, November 24, 2006

Conf 275: Rotten Apples

New computer doesn't take the old software! This means we have spent way over the odds and have a stupendously gorgeous looking computer that doesn't do word processing! The one thing I need. This was one of our main questions we had when we met with our new best friend at the computer shop. I Google some stuff and learn the iMacs have new brains which are incompatible with the old software, it's a known fact. Also means partner's movie editing software won't run. He's furious because he's spent an age reading up those boy magazine computer things and asking questions and all. Fortunately there is an educational Office package we can get at a discount, but even so.

And as for wireless, Kate Figes says it makes her feel ill. This, in the Standard last night:

AUTHOR: I FELT SICK AND TIRED WITH WI-FI

A woman claims she was made ill by wi-Fi. Kate Figes spent hundreds of pounds (first question: HUNDREDS?? I was told all I needed was a 60 quid router) installing wireless internet in her Stoke Newington home but had to scrap it when she felt tired and nauseous. The 49-year old author (they have to get the age in don't they) and mother-of-two (and that) claims she is sensitive to wi-fi's electro magnetic waves.

She said 'The day we installed wi-fi two years ago was the day I started to feel ill. At first I could not work out what the problem was. I had no idea why I felt so sick and run down but I knew that when I walked through the front door it felt like walking into a cloud of poison. Imagine being prodded all over your body by 1,000 fingers - that is what it felt like. I started getting rid of anything I thought might be causing the problem such as our cordless phones, but that did not make things better. The feeling got so acute that I could almost tell when I was being sent an email (WEIRD!) Then I started to think it might be the wi-fi, so we scrapped that too and that was when I felt better. Telecommunications expert Chris Guy said:'The amount of power emitted by wi fi devices is about a 10th of that given out by mobile phones. It is very, very unlikely that it is harmful.'

Our science course is on microwaves next week, so will hold off on the wi fi for the moment I think. No way we can afford it now anyway, what with the software business.

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She knew when she was getting an email because she felt worse? I supppose anything's possible...but I'm rather inclined to think she might be confusing wi-fi sickness with menopause.