Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Conf 288: Favourite Agent Responds

A kind, friendly e-mail, prompted by my nudge yesterday. She remains interested, but non-committal. The title isn't right. Ran it past everyone in the office but there was a very negative reaction. Too negative a message, not boosty. It's very tough out there and she thinks something like an amazing title could make all the difference. SO - brainstorming sessions begin. Finding a new title isn't like rethinking the plot or character. But getting the right one is no stroll. My old friend S, as always a star, blasts back Hot or What? The Insane Ramblings of a 48 Yr Old; Shaken, Stirred and Knackered; Mature My Ass... And brainstorming superwoman pal H suggests 50 Ways to Tease Your Lover... L brings up the rear (Bringing Up the Rear?) with Ditching the Decades.

However, that's not all (That's Not All? It's Not All Over Now; All Over Now: Not). FA also thinks the novel lacks pace and focus sometimes. She still likes my writing, it's very good, she says, but the novel takes a while to get going (Get Going?). If I worked on that, she suggests, and perhaps focussed more on emotional issues than sexual ones it would be easier. I had started to see this already. The problem was as I was writing it I was so determined to stay on the commercial side of things and not get too wordy and all. But I've gone too far, and it's all gone a bit too far down the tacky route. Fixable, and better that way, adding emotion and depth is luxury. Still, enough of that, am off down the pub. MUST not talk in titles all lunchtime.

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

1 comment:

Jude said...

I feel for you! Rejected unite.