Thursday, February 01, 2007

CONF 306: STEAMING

I have to say having an interested agent waiting for the copy really does concentrate the mind. Steam is coming out of my ears I'm working so hard. I went out yesterday, only a delivery and back again, but it was wildly exciting. I can't quite believe this rewrite is nearly there. It isn't yet, but nearly. My deadline to myself is tomorrow. Which will give me Sunday for tweeking and spilling over. It's going to be more than 80,000, so that little blue progress counter thingy at the side might splurge out of the end and get all mucky.

I turned down work work in the week, which is always scary. The worry I'll never be asked again. But this is it, there's no way out now until The End.

What am I thinking of it? The first half is there I think, commas and all. Chunks of the second half are more sparse, lots of dialogue, but that can be no bad thing. I think the overall story is a lot of fun and trots along; I like the main character; I think the settings work and I think the themes are good ones, some obvious some not so. That said when it comes to the read-through, I could still well conclude it's rubbish, that's the nature of this game.

On Saturday there's a blogmeet. I've never been to one before. It's for writers with book deals, which technically means not me of course, but the criteria include those who've had book deals, so I'm in there. One of my blogheroes is going to be there which is a bit exciting, let alone all that getting on big trains and going up to the West End of things.

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

7 comments:

Petite said...

Looking forward to meeting you too, but I might be a bit shy and bashful now I've read this...

Anne Brooke said...

Well done, Amanda! And best of luck with that agent.

:))

A
xxx

Lucy Diamond said...

I have to say, I'm feeling a bit star-struck about Saturday too...quite exciting though!

Keep going - sounds like you are firing on all cylinders!

Debi said...

Good luck! And what's all this about a blogmeet???

mad muthas said...

hello - nice to see you today. hope you got home safely.
x

Clare said...

"I can't quite believe this rewrite is nearly there. It ISN'T yet, but nearly. My deadline to myself is tomorrow."

Haha, I can so identify with this! My deadline is Friday, and I too have an agent waiting.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to chat with you on Sat... which also means I didn't get a chance to ask... DID YOU FINISH IT?

Amanda Mann said...

NO! I reached 'the end' at about midnight on Saturday but I have identified TEN inserts that need to be added.

I'm on insert 2, and that's only because I decided about an hour ago to leave out insert 1. This is because when I go to the places that need the additions, I can't avoid reading what's there already and not liking it at all. Am therefore back into rewrite mode.