Friday, February 16, 2007

CONF 313: FEELING LIKE A TWAT DAY 2

Yesterday morning a short e-mail from one of agents I'd queried asking why I'd left my lovely agent. I didn't. She dumped me. But I replied, going into long explanations about how she loved novel 1, wasn't so keen on novel 2, was enthused by novel 3 initially but then went off it, feeling it wasn't strong enough as a breakthrough book. How I stopped writing novel 3 at about 50000 words to concentrate on novel 4 which I felt had more marketablitity etc etc etc blah blah bleuuuuurrrraah. When all I should have said was

She was just not that into me.

As it is, he hasn't replied, which is sad-making. It has been my experience that some agents simply don't reply if they're not interested. This is fine by me, they're inundated with queries. I think writers have to understand that if an agent wants to know more, they'll ask to see more. If they don't, you move on. But when you get someone responding but then they don't reply to your response to them makes you feel a bit empty, which I could do without at the moment. It's bad enough being in a permanent state of anxiety where fears are rubbing up against hopes in toxic concentration.

However, novel 5 (FIVE? I am insane) is progressing well. I am keeping to the 500 words before breakfast. Three chapters in I felt I had enough there to sit down and examine the plotting in more detail. Yesterday evening I transferred this hero with 1000 faces summary to word, left gaps in between each part of the journey, printed that out and wrote in some storyline from a previous plot plan I'd done ages ago, working with the book. Obviously it's only an extreme rough guide, but it's a very useful way in, especially as this story is very myth oriented anyhow.

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

PS A happy hope note to end the week on. E-mail just in after I posted this from agent who wants samples of books, sales figures (which were OK for small publisher) and sample chapters. Interestingly from assistant to one of agents I had e-mail queried who didn't respond, so backing up with the postal was worth doing. The printer is burring away now.

4 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

Good news at the end then, Amanda!! It's a funny old lark, this writing thing, isn't it? Go for it!

:))

A
xxx

Amanda Mann said...

It is indeed. I have been spending far too long at the computer, waiting for responses that's my problem. Am just back from trip out and feel so refreshed. As soon as the final tweeking has been done am going to try and stay away more.

Debi said...

Balance - so essential to life ... so hard to achieve ...

Wishing you loads of luck!

Anne Brooke said...

Yes, it's important to get out sometimes and breathe fresh air - I did that today (for the first time this week, I think ...) and feel very different now - in a good way!

:))

A
xxx