Monday, February 26, 2007

CONF 318: TAKE TWO

No of words novel 5: 8,724

I took a post down over the weekend. I was talking about the book I was reading, a biography of Assia Wevill, and put in a quote from Ted Hughes about Sylvia. A comment from Leatherdykeuk made me realise I'd been trivial where I shouldn't have been. Instead of leaving my insensitivities for all to see, I blitzed it all out & told myself to stick to stuff I know about, like liquorice allsorts, in future.

Novel 5 storyline has been developing. I have doubled the allocation of time to one hour each morning and spend the first half hour correcting. A brand new development has got me through a credibility hoop at the same time as adding a new wow factor. Now all I've got to do is control it somehow. The rest of this week is for novel 4, rewriting, adding the extra chapter near the beginning and examining the rest of the pacing.

Still no sign of any work coming in. If I stop and think about this for too long I get very scared. I'm still hoping it's a temporary glitch. This is so typical, though. Every freelancer dreads turning commissions down in case the flow stops. But I was strict, I had to finish the novel, and I did. And the flow of work did stop. So it goes.

The only shopping I do these days is for food, but even that is now going to be rationed. It will make me feel like I am contributing something to this leaner than lean time. I will see it as a creative challenge rather than yet another slide down the slope. Fortunately daughter is mad for pasta and noodles so will just have to put more thought into it.

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

3 comments:

leatherdykeuk said...

I am honestly sorry that my comment caused you to take down your post. I respect your opinion, even if I don't agree with it. I have, as you probably guessed, strong opinions on the tragedy of Sylvia Plath.

Your opinions are as valid as anyone else's.

Amanda Mann said...

Don't be sorry! It wasn't my opinion, I just hadn't realised.

Anne Brooke said...

Ooh, dear, I'm always impressed by the intellectual content of your blog, Amanda. I must admit to being supremely trivial at all times ...

:))

A
xxx