Friday, March 09, 2007

CONF 327: SHORT STORY COMPETITION

Another rejection in today. But I did have a good lunch with an old friend and this afternoon entered the Nanotales short story competition.

I had to sign up to Bebo and am now feeling like Sally Nofriends.

It's a story I wrote a long time ago, when I was at college and just loving the writing for the fun of it. It came 3rd in the college competition and I got my first hint of the soaring successes to follow, a £5.00 book token. I was chuffed, especially as the finalists were read out on the stage by the college's drama students. Writing for sheer pleasure. Must keep that in mind. The re-editing of novel 4 isn't exactly ecstasy, and those rejections really do put you off and make you feel utter rubbish.

On a jollier note, our dear little Hilary makes Pet News!

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

4 comments:

leatherdykeuk said...

I got a rejection toady for a novel I've spent the last 6 weeks in discussion with an agent over. It hurts. We get over it.

feel free to add me on bebo. I couldn't find you.

pundy said...

I'm slightly pissed so delete this post if you want. I really enjoy you blog but what I enjoy most is your tagline: "Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon".

Whatever happens you end up with this same chirpy, delightful sentence. It's kind of resolute optimism and..oh, I don't know. But it's life-affirming, you know? And strangely charming. Anyway, good luck with your writing.

Anne Brooke said...

Don't let the bastards grind you down. Write first and foremost for the sheer pleasure and thrill of it, and then you can't go far wrong.

Hugs

A
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Amanda Mann said...

Leatherdyke, so sorry to hear you're going through it too. It's even worse as well when you think you might getting somewhere. I will look for you on bebo, tho I can't find myself now.

Pundy that's so kind. I nicked the idea from Garrison Keillor's radio show, also on Writer's Almanac, can't remember his words exactly - (nip off to link on my sidebar): be well, do good work, keep in touch.

The grinding down is indeed something you have to face up to. I'd be fine, actually, if it weren't for the TV freelance work suddenly drying up. That is causing real panic. Am trying to get the rewrites on the novel done this weekend so that I can at least put it away and just keep on sending it out (? - you know what I mean). The next one has the far cheerier hobby status already attached!