Monday, March 19, 2007

CONF 330: FIRST DRAFTS

I can't think of anything to say.

Um.

Nope.

Nothing.

I know, novel 5 or is it 4?

Maybe should call it 4 until the one put aside is complete.

Reached the quarter mark this morning.

Have to say, am enjoying the 500 words a day thing. There are chunks I have to edit down and the whole lot wants shaking out and all, but it is a first draft. Top priority is keeping the story moving and developing characters.

Jacqueline Wilson talked of her writing pattern over the weekend. She's superstitious about writing something every day to keep the story going. And Louise Doughty, snucked away in her delicious Canadian retreat, talked about her tricks. And the confidence that comes with experience on the writing of first drafts. Which I very much recognise. I love it when I read other writers saying their first drafts are crap. Marian Keyes as well.

Maybe one day enough successful writers will be brave enough to put forward samples of their first drafts just to show the rest of us how a great piece of writing can begin.

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

5 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

Aha! Another Telegraph reader - welcome ...

:))

A
xxx

leatherdykeuk said...

My first drafs are dire, full of odd scenes that I thought amusing at the time. The final drafts are still dire, but not quite as bad.

Amanda Mann said...

Actually, Anne, my regular reads are Independent and Standard because those are what paperholic partner gets. I do insist on the Saturday Telegraph, though, because of the arts coverage and the genius Social Stereotypes, despite my pieces being in its rival on that day, tut.

Anne Brooke said...

Yes, we always get the Saturday Telegraph, and very little else, I'm afraid. I don't suppose Star Trek Monthly counts, does it?

==:O

A
xxx

Debi said...

For someone who could think of nothing to say, you certainly found plenty of words not to say it in!

Re first drafts - Mslexia has a regular feature. And very telling it is too.