Sunday, March 25, 2007

CONF 333: CALCULATING AND PLOTTING

The news from the world of publishing is never good it seems, but, as today's Observer explains, the chances of breaking through do seem to have sunk to an all time low. I'm not a first time novelist. Am probably in a worse position, except I wrote under a pseudonym so suppose I can still claim my own name.

With novel 3 I've not only tried to write a fun book (my favourite review of novel 2 was 'intelligent and fun') but have also gone all out for danger, predicting a trend that hasn't happened yet. All very calculating. The people who are assessing whether I'm worth taking on or not have to give it two enormous ticks. They not only have to think it's good, but also that there's a market they can sell into. There isn't a market yet. The agent who's taken the closest look so far has already sold into it. But that might turn out to be a one-off. There have been no bestsellers. There might never be any bestsellers. It's possible I'll have to wait until an Allison Pearson or India Knight decides to put one out there first, then I just might stand a squeak chance of getting in.

Meantime onwards and upwards with novel 4 which is a lot of fun and seems to be writing itself. Got the pinboard out yesterday and pinned my scene cards up. Tightened the plot and characters. Each of the 4 main players has an element: earth, fire, air and water which has helped nail them nicely. I'm now back at the beginning, cutting the dross and upping the personality conflicts. Reading Chapter 2 to writing group tomorrow.

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

3 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

Ooh, another elements writer!! Greetings! Simon in my current novel, "The Gifting", goes through 4 elements of his journey too - earth, air, fire & water. Must be something in the literary atmosphere!!

:))

A
xxx

Amanda Mann said...

Oooh all in one character, I like it.

Anne Brooke said...

Well, I'm not good at crowds, Amanda - I always admire people who can write more than three at once!!

:))

A
xxx