Friday, March 30, 2007

CONF 336: REVIEWS

Argh, I just fessed up my 2 horrid reviews on a writers' internet forum chatroom thingy and am wishing I hadn't. Now I'm reliving it and feeling like rubbish all over again. I got 2 slatings out of, I don't know, 15 or 20 including the Amazons, but, like they all say, it's the bad ones that stick.

Everybody get them at some stage or another, head above the parapet and all that. Is it harder to cope with getting publicly trashed when you're starting out or when you're a seasoned old pro I wonder? Euff.

Just so you know what I'm talking about, there I am, prancing and preening about in:

Lightning pace and a superb plot; will be fiercely fought over by both sexes in the race to reach the climactic ending first; it's really witty and throws you straight into the story in the first paragraph; funny and fast-paced, sad, sexy, poignant; an easy and absorbing read, a great first novel; one word - fantastic; intelligent and fun; one of the best modern novels I've read for a long time, it made me laugh, cry and think.

And the axe falls:

One the worst book that I have read in along while (well, at least she's an illiterate, which helps. On closer inspection, she also revealed herself to be a serial slagger. Marian Keyes got 'a waste of time and money'!); the character doesn't grow, I couldn't find anything about her that I liked; the characters are thoroughly unlikeable and for a book that is supposed to be realistic, the situations are frankly not; to be quite honest - utter trash, give it a miss.

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

2 comments:

rivergirlie said...

good to get it off your chest though - or is it? i've got a couple of stinkers on us amazon that i simply can't bear to look at again - even for the greater good!

Anne Brooke said...

Hugs, Amanda. Those bad reviews do sting. I find it helpful to print off the fiery words, spit on them and then burn them whilst chanting all the rude, physically impossible things you're going to do to the idiot who wrote them.

Then I print out all my good reviews and stroke them for a while.

It really works!

:))

A
xxx