Monday, April 16, 2007

CONF 341: WHAT TO WRITE

Easter is over. Work work quota for the month is on target. The house is still tidy. Daughter's gone to Thorpe Park for the day. Partner's gone off for a meeting. For the first time in a long time I have a whole spacey day in which to write.

I had it all planned out, printing off the novel for new agent, getting that in the post before settling down to a major sort out of novel 4. I am also going to pitch my non-fiction publisher. Asking them if there's any way I can get hold of a copy of the Mandarin version, gently reminding them of the continuing newspaper coverage of Book 1 and suggesting a follow-up, much as before but with the chemicals removed and the word organic in the title. I wouldn't do it for no royalty again, of course. I believe they rarely give their authors the option but it's worth a try. One percent of one percent in China and we'd be away.

So, here we are, 11.20 and I haven't started yet. Daughter left about an hour ago, I had to get some milk in, and play on the internet a bit. This is what always happens if I have any time away from writing, it takes for ever to get back down to it. I'm a bit scared of opening Novel 4, because in theory it's ready to go, all I have to do is print and send, but once I start looking I'll be off, tweeking, deleting, adding. It's the London Book Fair this week anyhow, so no agents are going to be at their desks. So maybe I leave that and use this chunk of day to carry on reorganising the secondary story in novel 4. Or shall I do the pitch letter? No, the pitch letter can be done with a house full of people (we're open plan here). As can the printing out. Or shall I natter on here a bit longer?

We went to London Zoo yesterday. Not a normal Sunday activity but meeting up with long-lost friends from France who are staying with friends in south London, which is a long way to go from west London, so we met in the middle. This will only be of interest to Londoners and those visiting, but Moneysavingexpert has clever advice on how to get 2 people in for the price of 1 with a £1.90 rail ticket . Discount London has a 20% off ticket you just print offline. (Both for lots of other London attractions too). We didn't do the rail thingy, too faffy and we had half price tickets anyhow, but the Discount London thing worked. Best handy hint of all was the parking. We were queueing for the Zoo car park (TEN quid), a hot sun, engines off kind of hopeless queue, and a bloke came up and waved to the road behind saying there were loads of spaces that were free. Turns out just one street away from the Zoo, Camden has free Sunday parking. Well, we were chuffed anyhow. It's now ll.46 arf, now, to WRITE..................

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

4 comments:

genevieve said...

You know your nattering is very high quality, Amanda, don't you? I have quoted you in a writers' blogging article recently here in Oz, I will send you a copy.
Great to hear what you've been up to, as always I admire your grit, ma'am. Go get 'em.

Amanda Mann said...

Thanks Genevieve! Wld love to see the article. a

Debi said...

ohohohohohoh - this is so familiar! The internet has raised displacement activity to an art form ...

Julia Buckley said...

I love moneysavingexpert. But I always run out an buy loads of 'bargains' after reading it, so I'm not sure how much it actually saves me!