Tuesday, June 05, 2007

CONF 457: SIMMERING DOWN

It's OK, I've calmed down a bit now. The sudden shift from agentless/publisherlessness to a possibility of having both within a few days is a bit heady but it's still a long shot. Definite boost though. I do have something to sell. It might work out, but the odds aren't great that the first editor who reads will buy. The agent has kindly told me she's away on hols for 2 weeks in a few days' time, so I'll be able to stretch out the Live in Hope and dream of noncrap socks and galloping along the sands for a while longer. Meantime the agent who loved the opening chapters still hasn't got back to me. It must be nearly a month now.

Thanks for all the good wishes, it's so lovely to get them. I clicked over to Cally who has a horror story about leaving your computer on at night. That's decided it for me, so thanks Cally. The Apple handbook says leave it sleeping and I did for a while, but it didn't seem right, didn't seem right at all.

Meantime onwards and upwards with novel 5. I read a bit out at the writing group last night. The beginning wasn't good but the ending was. I listened to everybody else's pieces in amazement, wondering how they did it. After the last chunk of copyediting of novel 4 last week I am more determined than ever to write less each day but make it better. I printed the whole of novel 4 and worked from hard copy before submitting it. It really is the only way to do the final edits. I'd resisted before because of the rubbish printer here which takes ages and ages and runs out of ink every week. But now I've bought a new one so hard copy editing is going to be the name of the game from now on. 500 words. Print. Edit. Print and edit again until it's there.

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

1 comment:

Eliza Graham said...

I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for you. You deserve a lucky break.