Saturday, June 23, 2007

CONF 464: SUCCESSFUL FAILURES NO. 247

.................................................................................



For a long time the author Douglas Kennedy had the message to himself IT'S THE STORY, STUPID pinned above his desk. I've never read any of his books but I like him already. It took me a while to realise that and have found that I can't remind myself enough of it either.


'At the age of 43, when his second novel, The Job, failed to live up to its six-figure advance, Kennedy was cas out of New York literary circles and dropped by his publishers. Instead of trying to reprise his role he got straight to work on his next novel... "We all try to create a world that protects us, but that's absurd. it's what Philip Roth says in Everyman, if you look around any room, in 100 years time nobody will be there. that makes nothing matter, but at the same time make everything matter. It's also what I say in my Hollywood novel, Temptation, 'when life is in freefall there is only one solution, Go Back to Work.'




Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

He's a fab writer. I like him even more now I've read that.