Wednesday, November 21, 2007

CONF 508: FAREWELL THEN, CHAPTER 2

Rewrite: Week 3 day 3
Chapter: New 2

Chapter 2 has gone. Chapter 2, which I have worked over and over and over on, it being inside the 1st 3 chapters that were sent out to agents. Chapter 2 which has been rewritten dozens of times and refined and refined, now is no more. It's main purpose was to set up a situation that isn't there any more, so it really did have to go.

Am on new Chapter Two now. That's not as bad as it sounds. I hope. I have been through whole thing, deleting lots and clumsily inserting what needs to be inserted. This was done with the idea that I'd get more of an overall feel for the story before starting from the beginning again. I am not so sure. It may all be too rubbish. Brrrr.

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

6 comments:

pundy said...

At some point it always feels like rubbish, doesn't it.

I always re-write those first three chapters so many times that I end up with turgid, convoluted rubbish that sounds like a parody of Henry James.

Thankfully I mostly manage to simplify things again and they don't seem too bad.

liz fenwick said...

Good luck!

Milf Gone Wild said...

You have to step away at some point, let it breathe, then come back to it in a few months. Best of luck!

Anne Brooke said...

Good for you - keep on trucking!

:))

A
xxx

Sarah Ball said...

It's good to know I'm not the only one who keeps tinkering with the first 3 chapters, I've got to learn to wait and edit at the end but for some reason those 1st 3 chapters can't be left alone!
It's all progress though :)

Good luck!
Sarah

Cheyne Rood said...

Hello Amanda,

Was unable to find your email address, so my apologies if this seems out of place in the comments area.

I am writing to let you know about http://www.dustjacketreview.com. It is a new community for readers & literary producers. Michael Allen is one of our biggest contributors, and I found your blog via his Grumpy Old Bookman links.

Dust Jacket Review is a place for readers to discuss great reads and connect with other readers, and a place for literary producers to share and promote their work.

We only just launched and are eager to grow, so I hope you will come take a look.

Best,
Cheyne