Thursday, February 19, 2009

CONF 587: PUTTING A GLOSS ON IT


'Shall I clean it before I bring it in?' I asked the dealer. 'No need,' he said. But garages have to get all of their trade-ins properly cleaned don't they? It's probably being polished up right now ready to go to the auctions where a kid racer will fall in love. Isn't it. Isn't it? Unlike Lucy Diamond, who couldn't get rid of her old car fast enough, it's all been quite emotional this end. The last school run, the last parking, last drive ever, the last wave goodbye. Remembering the progression of tiny pale blue baby backwards seat in the front to chunky booster seat in back to teenagers weighing the suspension down so that it crunched and growled along and every speed bump was a challenge. The drives around Dorset, my old mother enjoying her last views of the sea. So, farewell old faithful and, onwards and upwards, heeere's the new girl:





Nearly all the new car ads are red now. Why is that? Grey in boom times, red in bust? Anyway it worked with us. A nice touch is the first two letters of the numberplate turn out to be my mother's initials, LC, so there's her name, Elsie, and all bodes well for my shiny new life.

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

2 comments:

rockmother said...

I sympathise with the nostalgic sentimentality for a well-worn car - I am the same. I hang onto mine even though it is limping into it's old age with bits falling off and electrics slowly failing - including central locking working of it's own accord (often while driving) which is a little disconcerting. You are so right - grey for boom red for bust. And I think you must live near me as I recognise the car dealership and the houses in the background in the first picture..! Oh the freaky tinternet!

Anonymous said...

A beautiful post. Here's to the red girl! xx D McD