Monday, December 21, 2009

Conf 614: Successful Failures No 437

.

@paulcarr - Twitter profile: writer, hideously successful failure, kind of a dick.

Did you read about bestseller Stephen R Covey's decision to publish his ebooks exclusively on Amazon Digital? Now Friday Project founder Paul Carr has put his (already published) book online via a technical website. Bringing Nothing to the Party, True Confessions of a New Media Whore is great. Don't know what the electronic term is for page turner, but it's one of those and I really couldn't stop reading it this morning. Download and read the politics behind his decision at TechCrunch.

I've been busy writing up my new non-fiction book these past weeks. Am hoping to get it out on Amazon before the newspaper profile comes out in mid-January. I've nearly finished the text and then need to do the stills. Through eHow, found the simplest way was to put the text and stills on Google Documents and then transfer it back on PDF and then, with a bit of messing around with fonts, spacings and covers you have your ebook. I've done one trial run with a short story, next will be following the eHow guide to putting the non-fiction onto Amazon. Looks fairly straightforward but will see.

I'm keeping this to non-fiction in the hope that my agent will respond positively to the new novel. The wall between fiction and non-fiction is fairly solid, there's been no interest on that side and I am checking in and keeping her informed. I've still had no news though which is worrying. I'm convinced she hates the new novel. Waiting for the verdict is just one of the worst things about writing. Author friends have been saying for weeks it's OK, and I know I know agents are really busy people. JUST PICK UP THE PHONE! I know, I know, but I'm just too scared now and don't want to ruin my Christmas.

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.