Tuesday, May 04, 2010

CONF 636: GROWTH - NUMBER 2 IN AMERICA!


.


Not writing isn't strictly true. Have been on the non-fiction on and off: column pieces for the newspaper and finishing off the new ebook, How To Publish An Ebook On a Budget - An Author's Guide (exclusive preview coming to this blog very soon now). I was writing about it all as it happened but the process got so involved it became impossible.

The first UK press coverage comes out later this week and a top consumer blogger is running a competition to win a copy of the book.  I'll also be popping up on an interesting new website which launches any day now with a brand new profile, written with the help of publicist. Very helpful when you're trying to sum up your working life without sounding like a brag-all. We've been racing to keep up with events these past few weeks and I'm delighted to announce that Emma Boden-Lee is now my business partner and co-owner of www.blackbirdebooks.com.  Our talents seem to dovetail really well, she's not only stylish, creative, great at publicity (the KEY to so much, I learn, 7 years on in the game) and a really good writer herself, but is a whizz at all the business negotiaty stuff.  She can say No to people!

My old non-fiction editor at Hamlyn is now our Associate Editor.  Sarah Tomley runs a company of freelance editors called editorsonline.org. All of them are at Commissioning, Executive or Senior Editor level. It's a real bonus to start off with a firm link to some trusted people from the publishing side. We've got 4 or 5 non-fiction books in the pipeline and I, of course (see last 5 years of this blog), have rather a large backlist of fiction to get out there.

I haven't heard from my agent, who therefore hasn't heard from the editor yet, so am keeping new novel option clear and separate for now.  I think I'm going to republish my first novel first, put my OWN title on it (I always hated that phrase, the character hated it too) and get rid of that cover. It can't be all about me though or it would all be a bit sad. The search for new fiction will start soon after the new website is up and running. One of the criteria we're keen to get across is No Genre! I know there are so many great novels out there that have been loved to distraction by agents and editors but have been turned down because they 'don't fit into a genre', and don't get me started on the opinions of publishers' sales teams.

US  Kindle sales have been slow, E hasn't started on America yet, but suddenly appear to be moving. This morning we were 10 in Consumer Guides, 12 in Cleaning, Caretaking and Relocating and 2 in Homeopathy!


Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

3 comments:

Talli Roland said...

Wow, lots of great things happening. I look forward to hearing more!

Anne Brooke said...

Fabulous news indeed!! So glad things are taking off - go, gal, go!!! :)) Axxx

liz fenwick said...

I'm exhausted reading the blog! Great stuff.

lx