Thursday, May 06, 2010

CONF 637: YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT PRIDE & FALLS

.

Daughter has orthodontist's this morning so it's a late start to school run. Switched computer on ready to get a good hour in on the first copy edit of the How To book to see email in from my agent.

Copyright, corporate confidentiality or whatever it is stops me from telling  you exactly what it says but the first word is

Alas

Then the praise bit:

original, gently humorous

Then there's a 

sharing

- means it went to the next post of editor sharing with a colleague. Then


shared her concern


and then a glimmer

like overall concept 

followed by the

but

naming the 3 authors they're seeking to grow ambitiously they felt I might get  slightly lost alongside. 

Sigh sigh sigh.

It's been so long since I've had a rejection I'd forgotten the emotion involved. I really shouldn't feel so bad as so many good things are happening elsewhere but it really feels like a kick in the teeth. Could have been the stinging feeling when reading the names of the chosen ones, but probably moreso because it was the editor I met who was so excited about signing me, talking about a career way into the future with a 4-book deal. Scuppered that time by her previous publisher's sales team. I liked her so much and it's all come to nothing.

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.













And then

4 comments:

liz fenwick said...

hugs

lx

Anne Brooke said...

Oh every sympathy and loads of hugs. It's a bummer. If it's any consolation, this happens to me every time really, at least with the mainstream press, so I am now at least used to it.

My favourite ever "eventual rejection" (ERs as they're known) was when a Harper Collins editor at a writers' conference told me Thorn in the Flesh was the best thing she'd seen for a long long time, everyone (including my then agent) got hugely excited, and then after many months we got an email saying "the writing was too thin." Naturally I've been writing with big fat crayons ever since!...

:))

But hey ho and you're just too good for them, my dear

Axxxxxxx

Jenni_Nolan said...

Hi there, I'd just like to say thanks for the great posts, I look forward to reading every time you update. I've included a link on my blog page to yours, and was wondering if you'd be ever so kind and do the same for me?
It's http://crazylunaticrants.blogspot.com/
(you can delete if not okay)

Thank you xx

Stephanie Zia said...

Thanks Liz. Anne, ERs a new one on me, those rave rejections are simply heartbreaking. Editors MUST know this. I had one from one of the majors that said 'I loved this book. But you know what, I love it so much I'm not going to bid on it because I fear I personally identified with it too much.' Or some such rubbish. Still, at least it will all be history soon, the tides are turning & we'll be able to let the market decide all by ourselves. Hi Jenni, thanks for lovely comment and the link, have added you also. x