Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Self-Promotion, The Author's Nightmare - Conf 681

It's a writing day today so have been procrastinating like mad. But at least in a fruitful way. The fridge is defrosted and I've been catching up on some splendid bloggery and suchlike.

Merry Farmer's blogpost BUY MY BOOK!!! IS SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION GOOD OR BAD? got me thinking (and even commenting) and back onto Twitter to stir up my character's page a bit. There I found a link to Liz Fenwick's Marketing - A Learning Curve. Liz is in exciting times, counting down to publication day of her first novel, and she's pulling in all sorts of advice.

I was working with a publicist recently who drummed into me over and over that shame simply HAD go RIGHT out of the window when it came to promotion. It's all right for you, I said, you're a publicist. Along with the other necessary, public speaking, it's really not at all easy for author types. I'm getting better, and learning to stay out of my 'real' friends' faces as much as possible. Mostly. Fell into awful hole recently when setting up a new Facebook Fan Page for blackbirdebooks' hard-won group (groups are gone). I obeyed the FB command to 'invite your friends!' - nooooh!  Not that! I didn't think! Of my 70 or so closest nearest and dearest 11 clicked. Leaving me with that awful overstepping the mark feeling.

It's DIFFICULT. But has to be done.

I've just set up a new author one now but am too scared to ask anybody I know at all. So at the moment I have a fan of 1. Me. Which I suppose goes along with the spirit of this blog. It's, um, here..... if you so feel you can spare a click......

And if you think it's a bit presumptuous, setting up a fan page for oneself and serves me right, well, it just.......:  Marketspeak gurus all say Facebook 'Likes' pages, along with a Twitter account, are the core ingredients of the new media platformery... John Locke, who wrote 'How I Sold a Million Ebooks In 5 Months' (and he did) (not that I have any delusions, with my fan of 1, but it's an engaging, inspiring read) did it mainly via the Twitter hashkey/blog combination. And they were short blogs. And not very many of them. Which is even more genius-like.

Twitter is easier. I don't have 900 friends so most are strangers. I've been on it forever anyway and, living, as I do, with Black Dog sufferer who barely speaks now, love it. I try and keep my personal feed clear 90% of the time, sneaking in the occasional irresistible brag or RT, well, maybe 80% of the time. So many other authors hate it. But you HA.......! A bit. To avoid that I have separate Twitter accounts for different books.

I've been beefing up my character's twitter feed a bit today. 10 Good Reasons' heroine Sally Lightfoot  (@SallyLightfoot2) feeds in to her main interests:  ageing (aging for the Americans) (always reads like like agging to Brits as we don't think, read or speak with that lovely soft aaaayyye) Leonard Cohen, men, baby boomers, Hydra, Strawberry Hill, metal music etc.... Anyway, there's this daily newspaper thing now you can get as well, so I've titled that with the name of the novel. I don't feel so bad about retweeting that as 'me' as it has that once removed newspaper feel about it:



Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

1 comment:

liz fenwick said...

Great post and yes...it's awful putting yourself forward. When i set up the Facebook page i made my family like so I didn't feel like Lucy no mates....

I love your idea of a twitter feed for one of your characters....and have just seen the comment on my blog. It missed out on today's post but will make on tomorrows.

BTW...you now have 3 fans
lx